What I learned with CS:GO server's

General discussion for off-topic subjects.
jbrewer193

What I learned with CS:GO server's

Postby jbrewer193 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:02 am

first of all, i know none of you besides Satoon has ever talked with me, so first of all hello, my name is Justin. i am taking Computer Science in College at University of Tennessee At Martin. I am far far far far far from writing codes, but for some reason i have an eye for server stuff. i was talking with Satoon and i was telling him what all i found out with the new config files and everything. and i thought i would post here just to share the information i found out.

First of all, gamemodes_server.txt isnt all that bad once you start seeing what they done, they put in all the cvars that will load with whatever gamemode you have it set to, so that it is somewhat easy to change between, casual, competitive, and Arms Race. but what i also found out, is that you can have your gamemodes_server.txt basically empty besides the gamemodes and mapgroups and maps.

Code: Select all

// To use this file, rename it to GameModes_Server.txt
//
// Values here override the default gamemodes.txt

"GameModes_Server.txt"
{
   "gameTypes"
   {
      "classic"
      {
         "gameModes"
         {
            "competitive"
            {
               "convars"
               {

}

"mapgroupsMP"                  // List of mapgroups valid for this game mode
               {
                  "mg_bomb_se"      ""
               }
            }
         }   
      }
   }

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Map groups
//
// To use a mapgroup, it needs to be defined in a keyvalues
// block such as the example below, as well as listed in the
// 'mapgroupsMP' block within the game mode that will run it,
// such as the example above.
//
// Then launch the server with '+mapgroup MAPGROUPNAME'
//
// Example:
//
// srcds -game csgo +game_mode 1 +mapgroup mg_bomb_se +map de_nuke_se
//
//
// Check the developer wiki for updated community info
// https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"mapgroups"
   {
      "mg_bomb_se"                           // mapgroup definition
      {
         "name"         "mg_bomb_se"
         "maps"
         {
"ar_infinity" ""
"fy_iceworld" ""
"ar_shoots" ""
"ar_blood_anarchy" ""
"ar_deagle" ""
"ar_baggage" ""
"ar_crash_bandicoot" ""
"ar_churches" ""
         }
      }
   }
}

and (dont hate me for this, i was just testing it out to see if it worked and plus, i missed somewhat real gungame) i use this for SM Gungame. the server itself runs around with me leaving this like so just fine, but to get sm gungame working properly, i had to manually disable some cvars in my server.cfg. the server.cfg also overrides the gamemodes_server.txt. and here is what my server.cfg is currently as

rcon_password "#######"
hostname "Infinite Tactics | SM:GunGame | Revese Turbo | NO RESPAWN!"

sv_downloadurl "http://www.infinite-tactics.clanservers.com/csgo-ds/csgo"

"bot_auto_vacate"          "1"
"bot_quota_mode"               "fill"
"bot_quota"                  "4"
"bot_difficulty"               "1"
"sv_alltalk"                  "1"
"sv_deadtalk"                  "1"
"mp_freezetime"         "5"
"mp_forcecamera"      "0"
"mp_maxrounds"         "99"
"mp_halftime"         "0"
"mp_timelimit"         "0"
"mp_roundtime"         "5"
"mp_do_warmup_period"           "0"

but with the gamemodes.txt as it says at the top of it <DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE> the reason behind it is this...if something is missing from gamemodes_server.txt that it needs, it will pull from it. the main reason i found this out was because trying to get arms race to work before i ever tried sm gungame, i was trying to make it as customizable as possible...different gun order was about all you could do on it...but yet changing the gun order in gamemodes_server.txt done absolutely nothing...so just to test, i deleted the entire gun order, and it still ran, so i was looking around and edited the gamemodes.txt 's gun order, and it switched...thats the most i ever edited out of the gamemodes.txt. but when i was trying to customize the arms race somewhat, i read, but not fully tested what d1zzy from the steam forums posted...a strict limit to only 27 guns, it will end no matter what after the 27th kill...knifegg at any level will end the game, zeus will not work...those were what he listed, the only thing i tried was the zeus, but it didnt work. but what i found out is that you can give grenade levels (including molitov) but they wont have guns with them, and you can knife past any level, including grenade.

and to edit the map rotation, you have to edit your gamemodes_server.txt as i done above in mine...you have to make sure you have the right mapgroup matched with your command line for any of it to work

you can use any mapgroup you want for any group of maps as i used mg_bomb_se for my ar maps (proved 2 support tech guys wrong about this......was quite funny)

and i believe that is almost everything...i'll post again if i left something out. nice to meet you all, and i hope i can become a part of this as much as possible :) ...if you ever need me to test something, either pm me here, or a quicker way, send me an email at *edited* i will always be happy to test anything and everything, i have a free SourceCMD server on my computer that i used to test out all of this :)

sorry for long post XD
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 am

jbrewer193 wrote:first of all, i know none of you besides Satoon has ever talked with me, so first of all hello, my name is Justin. i am taking Computer Science in College at University of Tennessee At Martin. I am far far far far far from writing codes, but for some reason i have an eye for server stuff. i was talking with Satoon and i was telling him what all i found out with the new config files and everything. and i thought i would post here just to share the information i found out.

First of all, gamemodes_server.txt isnt all that bad once you start seeing what they done, they put in all the cvars that will load with whatever gamemode you have it set to, so that it is somewhat easy to change between, casual, competitive, and Arms Race. but what i also found out, is that you can have your gamemodes_server.txt basically empty besides the gamemodes and mapgroups and maps.

// To use this file, rename it to GameModes_Server.txt
//
// Values here override the default gamemodes.txt

"GameModes_Server.txt"
{
   "gameTypes"
   {
      "classic"
      {
         "gameModes"
         {
            "competitive"
            {
               "convars"
               {

}

"mapgroupsMP"                  // List of mapgroups valid for this game mode
               {
                  "mg_bomb_se"      ""
               }
            }
         }   
      }
   }

// Map groups
//
// To use a mapgroup, it needs to be defined in a keyvalues
// block such as the example below, as well as listed in the
// 'mapgroupsMP' block within the game mode that will run it,
// such as the example above.
//
// Then launch the server with '+mapgroup MAPGROUPNAME'
//
// Example:
//
// srcds -game csgo +game_mode 1 +mapgroup mg_bomb_se +map de_nuke_se
//
//
// Check the developer wiki for updated community info
// https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers

"mapgroups"
   {
      "mg_bomb_se"                           // mapgroup definition
      {
         "name"         "mg_bomb_se"
         "maps"
         {
"ar_infinity" ""
"fy_iceworld" ""
"ar_shoots" ""
"ar_blood_anarchy" ""
"ar_deagle" ""
"ar_baggage" ""
"ar_crash_bandicoot" ""
"ar_churches" ""
         }
      }
   }
}

and (dont hate me for this, i was just testing it out to see if it worked and plus, i missed somewhat real gungame) i use this for SM Gungame. the server itself runs around with me leaving this like so just fine, but to get sm gungame working properly, i had to manually disable some cvars in my server.cfg. the server.cfg also overrides the gamemodes_server.txt. and here is what my server.cfg is currently as

rcon_password "#######"
hostname "Infinite Tactics | SM:GunGame | Revese Turbo | NO RESPAWN!"

sv_downloadurl "http://www.infinite-tactics.clanservers.com/csgo-ds/csgo"

"bot_auto_vacate"            "1"
"bot_quota_mode"               "fill"
"bot_quota"                  "4"
"bot_difficulty"               "1"
"sv_alltalk"                  "1"
"sv_deadtalk"                  "1"
"mp_freezetime"            "5"
"mp_forcecamera"        "0"
"mp_maxrounds"            "99"
"mp_halftime"            "0"
"mp_timelimit"            "0"
"mp_roundtime"            "5"
"mp_do_warmup_period"           "0"

but with the gamemodes.txt as it says at the top of it <DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE> the reason behind it is this...if something is missing from gamemodes_server.txt that it needs, it will pull from it. the main reason i found this out was because trying to get arms race to work before i ever tried sm gungame, i was trying to make it as customizable as possible...different gun order was about all you could do on it...but yet changing the gun order in gamemodes_server.txt done absolutely nothing...so just to test, i deleted the entire gun order, and it still ran, so i was looking around and edited the gamemodes.txt 's gun order, and it switched...thats the most i ever edited out of the gamemodes.txt. but when i was trying to customize the arms race somewhat, i read, but not fully tested what d1zzy from the steam forums posted...a strict limit to only 27 guns, it will end no matter what after the 27th kill...knifegg at any level will end the game, zeus will not work...those were what he listed, the only thing i tried was the zeus, but it didnt work. but what i found out is that you can give grenade levels (including molitov) but they wont have guns with them, and you can knife past any level, including grenade.

and to edit the map rotation, you have to edit your gamemodes_server.txt as i done above in mine...you have to make sure you have the right mapgroup matched with your command line for any of it to work

you can use any mapgroup you want for any group of maps as i used mg_bomb_se for my ar maps (proved 2 support tech guys wrong about this......was quite funny)

and i believe that is almost everything...i'll post again if i left something out. nice to meet you all, and i hope i can become a part of this as much as possible :) ...if you ever need me to test something, either pm me here, or a quicker way, send me an email at *removed* i will always be happy to test anything and everything, i have a free SourceCMD server on my computer that i used to test out all of this :)

sorry for long post XD

Hello and welcome to the community. This post is quite informative, thanks for putting it together!

As an FYI: I would remove your email from your post. You don't want unsolicited spam from any bots that crawl these forums :)
neptune

Postby neptune » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12 am

your-name-here wrote:Hello and welcome to the community. This post is quite informative, thanks for putting it together!

As an FYI: I would remove your email from your post. You don't want unsolicited spam from any bots that crawl these forums :)

y-n-h; You might want to remove his email from your quote too. ;)

jbrewer; Thanks for all the help bud!
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Whoops, I'm an idiot :/

Looks like someone else already removed it.
Monday
Administrator

Postby Monday » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

your-name-here wrote:Whoops, I'm an idiot :/

Looks like someone else already removed it.

I got yo back like a chiroprac
jbrewer193

Postby jbrewer193 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 am

your welcome to everyone who this helped and to who all said thank you :)

and for future plugin's i found something that will make switching modes ALOT easier

you can actually change your gamemodes (casual, competitive, demolition, arms race) in your server.cfg

BUT...you will have to have to have all the modes in your gamemodes_server.txt...so what i found is easier, copy and paste your gamemodes.txt into your gamemodes_server.txt...but you will have to have the the starting map the same in ALL mapgroups for that game mode.

here are the commands to put into your server.cfg to change the game mode and which are which game modes

Classic Casual:

game_type 0
game_mode 0

Classic Competitive:

game_type 0
game_mode 1

Arms Race:

game_type 1
game_mode 0

Demolition:

game_type 1
game_mode 1

i'll keep adding stuff here as i find out more :)
jbrewer193

Postby jbrewer193 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:35 am

and let me change what i said, to get this to work, you will have to have the same mapgroup for all game modes****, i remember trying to connect to it without changing the mapgroup, i kept getting the MM error
HeadHunter

Postby HeadHunter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't like the game type and game mode thing. What if I simply want to play a arms race map without the gungame? If I try to load arms race maps in classic mode, the server is not responding.
jbrewer193

Postby jbrewer193 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:04 am

if you find your mapgroup that is on your command line, find it inside your gamemodes_server.txt and add ar_baggage/ar_shoots to it, it should load just fine. i done it, and i also loaded de_/cs_ maps on a armsrace setup doing the same thing, just adding them into the arms race mapgroup i used
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:12 am

Just a heads up, but apparently they are changing the system a bit. Not too sure exactly what all will be changing, but I just hope they make it a lot easier for server operators to use. I am no longer subscribed to the mailing list, so I do not have access to all the goings-on mentioned during this, but I found this information out here:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32580380#post32580380

If anyone is a member of the mailing list, and has the time to go through and find all relevant posts, could you please do so and make another thread on the forums?

Thanks,
Satoon
Woody
Global Moderator

Postby Woody » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:36 am

I do find the current CS:GO layout a bit confusing more confusing then CS:S servers, but it's not that complicated.

Maybe they were trying to weed out the idiots :P Jus' playin'
jbrewer193

Postby jbrewer193 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 am

ehh thats what i though...but then again im somewhat newer, so i have an open mind to how this stuff works...people who had css servers for years (i used to have one, but never really kept it up for toooooo long) are used to doing it one way, set in that way, and dont want to take the time into learning a new way for everything...also, since school started, i might not be able to test as much as planned...im most likely going to cancel my server unless i can get it populated within the next few weeks...but what im trying to say, i will still test but when i can make the time...days off from school, im working 8 hour shifts :S
Woody
Global Moderator

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 am

I've ran CS:S servers for 6 years :)

The switch wasn't that hard, though I do find it annoying that they are changing their system up again. (Today's update)
Monday
Administrator

Postby Monday » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:14 am

Woody wrote:I've ran CS:S servers for 6 years :)

The switch wasn't that hard, though I do find it annoying that they are changing their system up again. (Today's update)

Welcome to the site!

At least they are consistently inconsistent? I'd rather see them get all this out of the way early rather than 6 weeks from now!
jbrewer193

Postby jbrewer193 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:30 am

something else i found out that is blatantly obvious...CS:GO dev team cannot make up their minds!!
Woody
Global Moderator

Postby Woody » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Monday wrote:Welcome to the site!

At least they are consistently inconsistent? I'd rather see them get all this out of the way early rather than 6 weeks from now!

Thanks for the welcome :)

Very true indeed! I'm liking the .cfg's better than their original style of game gamemodes_Server.txt

Return to “Whatever”