Any server?

General discussion for off-topic subjects.
stinkyfax

Any server?

Postby stinkyfax » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:20 am

Hi all. Is there any thriving CS:GO game-server, which uses SourcePython?
Do you know any of such servers? Do you know owners (or if you are the one)?

Please do not view/use this topic for advertising, as it will probably be moderated down then.

I am just looking for a community of players to improve their gaming experience.
It is too much hassle to establish own server (especially populate it), while at this moment I just want to code useful things :)

Actually, this is a common problem of many (wannabe-)developers I have spoke to in a past, so I hope this thread might be of a great use to others as well.
Doldol

Postby Doldol » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Sourcemod is really popular right now. With few public plugins for SP, and SP's API constantly changing it's really hard if not impossible for regular server operators to maintain their server with only SourcePython plugins, you basically need a team of developers.

I'm talking from expierience, I operate a community, and am the only real programmer in it, it's very tempting to just put sourcemod on the server, and get some public plugins for it. Most our servers actually run SourcePython for all the new stuff + Sourcemod for admin + Eventscripts for old often custom plugins. (Yes, most our servers are CSS which still runs ES fine.)

We just don't get around to porting our old ES plugins to SP and code up a statisfactory admin system for SP due to a lack of time.

I do see a better future once SP's API stabilizes (which imo it has been doing) and starts attracting people from the SM community, which I really think it will if source continues to be popular (Especially with Source 2 incoming probably not to far into the future), as SP seems to be potentially more feature-rich and easier to work with.

I thought I'd give a glimpse of how this feels from the perspective off being one of the probably very few active communities trying to integrate SP into their servers.

Return to “Whatever”