Good to see development!

General discussion for off-topic subjects.
pil

Good to see development!

Postby pil » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 am

Hello,

I'm happy to see that people are developing Source Python for CS:GO. I primarily use ES for my mods because I found it way easier to learn than Sourcemod. And before I found this, I thought that I would have to learn Sourcemod coding because there was nothing else working for CS:GO. I will have to learn some python but I think it's easier than Sourcemod. Hopefully the commands, syntax's etc won't be too different than the style used in ES. But I'll have to wait until the documentation gets built up.
Logifl3x

Postby Logifl3x » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 am

Personally for me Python was/is a lot easier to understand than SourcePawn.

I think your-name-here and satoon101 might try to make it easy to come from ESP to SP.
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 am

Hi Pil,

Thanks for the kind words, we appreciate them :)

As Logifl3x said, we will try to keep some major similarities with ES (such as having load/unload). There will be minor and major changes though. Your old ES addons won't be backwards compatible because we are completely redoing python integration with the source engine. We are trying to make a much more structured and optimized plugin.
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:54 am

Welcome, pil. I would like to add that we also hope to have some seriously well done documentation on what all is available for scripters to use. We will attempt to add as much to that as possible. However, we will also need the help of other forum members to help us keep up with all of the documentation that will be needed, while we try our best to get everything we wish to implement done. If you have any specific questions, no matter what it is, feel free to ask.

Satoon
pil

Postby pil » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm

That's good to hear. I currently use ES and SM for a mod of mine, most of the mod is done in ES, and a few functions that ES could not do was done in SM. When you say the old ES addons won't be compatible, are you talking about the ES python ones or the ES classic ones? I was just wondering if my addons would just require the syntax changes, for example es.msg to whatever the equivalent is in SP. Or will it have to be completely re-written? I can do basic python stuff but I will eventually need help on converting commands such as es.msg, es.precachemodel etc. I also like how you say optimized, because I know people said they liked SM over ES because it can run faster and is more optimized.
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Well, ESS will not be implemented, so those addons are completely out of the question. As far as Python-wise, changes to syntax will definitely be needed. Our API will be completely different than the ESP. So, many changes can (and will) be extensive.

Satoon
pil

Postby pil » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:45 am

Yeah I didn't think ESS would be considered and I haven't used it in years. I look forward to the changes.

Return to “Whatever”