Hello everyone! i didn't know where to post so here i am!

General discussion for off-topic subjects.
qwexvf

Hello everyone! i didn't know where to post so here i am!

Postby qwexvf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:55 am

Hello everyone. first i'm totally new to this form. i hope any of you could give me an advice!

currently i'm working on Python project for Backend which is web server etc. mostly flask and pyramid.
and i'm going to start with making plugins for csgo and i was thinking if i could make plugins in python why not eh?
of course. i can write it in SourcePawn but as i working with python i wanted to make everything in python lol.

so here what i want to know.
1. Comparing with SourcePawn there is any limit? for example in SourcePawn i can use "asdf" but not in python.
2. Does it make speed slow? because python is very very(x10) slow.
3. is this community still active? i saw github commits but i want hear you all!.
4. can i still use SourcePawn plugins?
5. can i use libraries like Peewe for mysql & postgres as orm driver?

ff there's any resource that i can look at please give me!
i think that's it. please give any advice! thanks for sawing this!

-xvf
satoon101
Project Leader

Re: Hello everyone! i didn't know where to post so here i am!

Postby satoon101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

1. There is nothing that you can do in SourcePawn that you can't also do in Source.Python.

2. I'm not sure why you think Python is that slow. It is slightly slower, obviously, but unless you are doing something major, you really won't notice much of a difference in performance on the server. A lot of functionality is directly exposed from the engine using Boost.Python.

3. It is still somewhat active, maybe not as much as we would like. Work is still being done on the Project Manager which will eventually host plugins, sub-plugins, and custom packages and make it easier to install those things, as well as 3rd party requirements.

4. Yes, you can certainly use SourcePawn plugins. There have been issues reported, but they are primarily resolved by making sure Source.Python is loaded after SourcePawn.

5. Of course you can use 3rd party libraries, this is Python after all. For Source.Python specific custom packages, install them in your ../addons/source-python/packages/custom/ directory. For 3rd party Python packages, like Peewee, install them in your ../addons/source-python/packages/site-packages/ directory. Again, the Project Manager, coupled with the future sp install/update commands, will help make installing those on servers much easier.

As for resources, click the Wiki link in the top bar. It's not complete, but certainly can be a big help. And, please feel free to ask specific development questions in our Plugin Development Support forum.
qwexvf

Postby qwexvf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 am

Sorry for the late.
Thanks for you reply!

Seems like this is a amazing project!!!.

Well, about the python is slow i worked a lot with web frameworks and it was really slow i think it was about 2000 request per seconds...
with C i could handle over 1000000 lol don't even try... but i i don't really care its slow or not. python is beautiful!

and about the SourcePawn plugins i meant if i could take a plugin from sourcepawn and put into sourcepython's engine lol but its ok <3

anyways i decided to stick with source python! thank you so much !!!!!!

-xvf
Mahi

Postby Mahi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:27 pm

qwexvf wrote:Sorry for the late.
Well, about the python is slow i worked a lot with web frameworks and it was really slow i think it was about 2000 request per seconds...
Python is on the slower end surely, but I believe even the worst frameworks do better than that. Flask can do 10000 requests per second and apparently Django can do 30,000 and is being used by some huge sites like Instagram, Pinterest, and BitBucket. It's still slow, but don't worry, it's not as slow as people let you believe.

And better, as Satoon said, Source.Python is just a thin Python wrapper around Source engine, so 99% of the stuff is still done on the C++ side! :) Your plugin won't affect much at all

qwexvf wrote:and about the SourcePawn plugins i meant if i could take a plugin from sourcepawn and put into sourcepython's engine lol but its ok <3
Yeah unfortunately this doesn't work one way or the other, you'd have to manually convert the plugin to Python. But it's worth it ;)
Doldol

Postby Doldol » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Don't forget that when python is to slow you can write a C (C++) extension for it easily. You also have Cython.

Web applications use caching smartly to great effect.

I use Source.Python to connect to a webserver (Django/Daphne) using websockets, which works great: it's very secure (You don't have to hand out database passwords. Which is a big concern in bigger communities.), very efficient, integrates well, etc.
I don't see that happening with SourcePawn any time soon.

I use SourcePython a lot, but most of the stuff is kept within my community. Maybe that's the case for multiple people?
qwexvf

Postby qwexvf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:50 pm

satoon101 wrote: the Project Manager, coupled with the future sp install/update commands, will help make installing those on servers much easier.

is it available feature?
Ayuto
Project Leader

Postby Ayuto » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Not yet. It's still being worked on.
qwexvf

Postby qwexvf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Ayuto wrote:Not yet. It's still being worked on.

i see <3 i hope it will be available soon!!!

Return to “Whatever”