Best way to distribute Python program?

General discussion for off-topic subjects.
BackRaw

Best way to distribute Python program?

Postby BackRaw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi,

what would be the best way to distribute a Python executable that requires packages from pip? I'm playing around with requirements.txt and then call pip install -r on it. However this requires a batch/shell script to be run first.

I wonder if this is the way to do it.
Thanks!
Ayuto
Project Leader

Re: Best way to distribute Python program?

Postby Ayuto » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Which program did you use to create the executable? I know that PyInstaller scans for dependencies and packs them as well.
BackRaw

Postby BackRaw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Ayuto wrote:Which program did you use to create the executable? I know that PyInstaller scans for dependencies and packs them as well.

Haven't used anything yet :D
Thanks, I'll look into it, sounds good.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 am

Late reply, but I highly recommend using pynsist package. It puts your application in a Nullsoft Installer. It's much better than packing everything in a single .exe. Your application will install like any other program, it will be accessible in Windows Control Panel etc.
Also supports neat stuff like automatically downloading proper Python interpreter and corresponding versions of the libs from PyPi.
Image /id/its_iPlayer
My plugins: Map Cycle • Killstreaker • DeadChat • Infinite Jumping • TripMines • AdPurge • Bot Damage • PLRBots • Entity AntiSpam

Hail, Companion. [...] Hands to yourself, sneak thief. Image
BackRaw

Postby BackRaw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:42 pm

iPlayer wrote:Late reply, but I highly recommend using pynsist package. It puts your application in a Nullsoft Installer. It's much better than packing everything in a single .exe. Your application will install like any other program, it will be accessible in Windows Control Panel etc.
Also supports neat stuff like automatically downloading proper Python interpreter and corresponding versions of the libs from PyPi.

Amazing! Thank you!

BTW: Late reply lol

Return to “Whatever”