phpBB3!!

Official Announcements about Source.Python.
satoon101
Project Leader

phpBB3!!

Postby satoon101 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:51 pm

As you can see, we have migrated to using phpBB3!! If you have any issues or suggestions, please post them in this thread.

One thing we haven't added, yet, is syntax highlighting. That is coming shortly, so bear with us.
Painkiller

Re: phpBB3!!

Postby Painkiller » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:27 am

Good Work :cool:
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:28 am

So what was the reasoning behind this? Why not stay on vBulletin?
Last edited by iPlayer on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
necavi
Developer

Postby necavi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:44 am

I definitely like the new forum overall but I would definitely prefer it if the page-width class had a max-width of ~1600px, the forums end up being so tiny on a 1920x1080 screen as it currently is.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:53 am

Come on, necavi, no. Who needs big posts being displayed as a 1500px one-liners starting from the very left?
Maybe just include several styles?
necavi
Developer

Postby necavi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:59 am

Meeeee! I mean, for me it doesn't matter too much as I just setup an extra css stylesheet to correct the width, I just figured that other people might have the same issue.
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:14 am

There were a number of reasons for moving to phpBB. Some of which I'd rather not discuss publicly.

Overall, when the decision was made to go with vBulletin back when we were starting work on SP, I had zero experience with it, and it seemed really great. However, over the last almost 4 years, I have grown to be very unimpressed with it.

One of my (and many others) biggest issues with it is how bad the search capability is. Not only does it not recognize words in threads that it certainly should by the settings we had set, but the list the search returned would only show you the 'thread' the search found and not a specific post. This means that if there are 100+ pages in a thread, you're going to have to search the whole damn thing to find it.

Of course, you can use Google search to get around this, but what is the point of the forum search if it doesn't help you narrow it down to the actual post itself? I looked for a plugin the better the search capabilities, but never really found anything useful.

There are some things I did like about vB over phpBB, but overall, I am much happier with this setup already, and I think the other project leaders and admins are, as well.

I can look into the width issue, but I imagine it has to do with this theme we are using. I really like this theme, your-name-here actually picked it out during this transition. And, we don't want to use more than one theme, as that would require us to maintain multiple themes whenever we change anything.

*Edit: one final thing is, as iPlayer speculated in another thread, yes, we are working on implementing SPPM. One important part of that is integration with the forum. From what I could find by searching, phpBB already has an interface that we will be attempting to work with, while vBulletin does not (at least not any that I could find). I'm not sure how much longer it will be until SPPM is ready, but we are certainly working on it. It has only been in development for a little over 3 weeks, so, it is still in its infancy. We will make more announcements about it when we are further along in development.
necavi
Developer

Postby necavi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:44 am

Is there a repo for the SPPM yet? I'd love to look it over and contribute.
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:04 am

Short answer is yes, but it is not public.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:21 am

Thanks for the answer, Satoon. I wish you good luck with the plugin manager.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Along with [python] ([syntax=python] ?) tag, it might be also worth adding [youtube] or [video] tag.

EDIT: Also, [color="#HEXHEX"] would be nice.
Image /id/its_iPlayer
My plugins: Map Cycle • Killstreaker • DeadChat • Infinite Jumping • TripMines • AdPurge • Bot Damage • PLRBots • Entity AntiSpam

Hail, Companion. [...] Hands to yourself, sneak thief. Image
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 pm

Youtube links should work properly now, without any bbcode. You will have to edit current posts with them in order for them to show properly. I went ahead and edited one to show you:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1168&p=7578#p7583

For your edit, did you try without the quotes around the hex? If you go into the Full Editor instead of the quick reply, there is a "Font Color" box you can click on that allows you to choose a color and it uses the hexes when you select one.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks!
Regarding to color, I completely missed that, because vBulletin included quotes. So it seems that I might need to edit some posts to remove the quotes, too.
Image /id/its_iPlayer
My plugins: Map Cycle • Killstreaker • DeadChat • Infinite Jumping • TripMines • AdPurge • Bot Damage • PLRBots • Entity AntiSpam

Hail, Companion. [...] Hands to yourself, sneak thief. Image
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Yeah, if you see any you cannot edit, PM me and I will take care of it. Don't necessarily go searching for them, though. Just, if you happen across any, let me know. Same goes for youtube links. You will have to edit the post with at least 1 character difference and then edit back without the extra character.
BackRaw

Postby BackRaw » Sun May 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Hey I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here :D

First of all, love the update, no doubt.
There is just one slight issue I'm having using Safari 9.1: When I navigate into a thread which has CODE-blocks in it, I can scroll normally within them using my mouse wheel. However, when I click on another page, for example the home page and I go back again, I can't scroll anymore (within the CODE-blocks) until I reload the page.

Now I'm unsure whether this is a cacheing issue that comes from Safari and we can't do anything about it or some CSS issue on this forum. It's not that much of an issue really and I can oversee this or maybe even use Chrome or Firefox. It would add convenience tho :D
Never had any issues of that kind with the old forums.

But: I *guess* this only applies to CODE-blocks and not any Syntax Highlighted blocks, so it wouldn't bother me at all, after syntax highlighting has been added :D

Just wanted to let you know of that. Otherwise, and this is really the other 99.9%, phpBB runs really smoothly without a doubt!
La Muerte
Administrator

Postby La Muerte » Wed May 25, 2016 7:02 pm

Fixed: Active Topics
Added: Syntax Highlighter

@BackRaw, does the issue still persist and does it also occur within the syntax blocks?
BackRaw

Postby BackRaw » Thu May 26, 2016 2:30 am

It still persists in both cases, code and syntax blocks. However that's just Safari - on the Mac. Using Google Chrome I have no problem at all - so I don't even think this issue is worth fixing. Just wanted to point it out. And, of course, using Safari I can reload the page and get the scrolling back :)

I'm curious, though. Have you already looked into it? :D
La Muerte
Administrator

Postby La Muerte » Thu May 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Ok, well I can't really reproduce the issue.

Could you test if it is now fixed in syntax highlighter blocks but consists in code blocks?
BackRaw

Postby BackRaw » Sat May 28, 2016 4:44 am

Tested, still the same. :)
La Muerte
Administrator

Postby La Muerte » Sun May 29, 2016 6:52 am

BackRaw wrote:Tested, still the same. :)

Strange, the behavior you describe does not occur on the last Safari version for Windows (before it got discontinued for Windows).
Either the issue was introduced in later versions or it is a Mac specific issue. Either way I cant reproduce the issue right now.
If you by any chance can find a fix I will happily apply it for you, else it will have to wait until I can get my hands on a Mac.

Return to “News & Announcements”