server init

Please post any questions about developing your plugin here. Please use the search function before posting!
Speed0x

server init

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:38 pm

why is source python accepting scriptloading, before the server has fully initiated its native modules? ( e.g. autoexec with sp load) wouldnt it make sense to wait at least until e.g. steam gives its server_live callback? if there is any, ofc.... im just assuming steam communicates with the server somehow...

if there already is some listener for that im sorry... maybe someone can mention it again.. thanks guys
Ayuto
Project Leader

Re: server init

Postby Ayuto » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Why not? There are some situations in which you might want to load a plugin quite early (e.g. if you want to block some server console messages).
Also, I wouldn't rely on Steam. What if your server doesn't has access to the Steam servers or the Steam servers are simply down?

If you are experiencing any issues, you can always delay-load your plugin with "sp delay 3 sp plugin load xyz".
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm

you might have misinterpreted my concern.. im looking for a way to identify when the server has fully loaded its native modules. its probably the same function as steam users when calling "server_live".... i dont have a problem if source python wants to keep it this way, im just asking if there is a way for me to manually get access for this or if i have to delay the entire load ( which i find unreliable )

thanks for helping
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm

I think you are looking for the OnServerActivate listener or server_spawn event.
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:03 pm

yeah will try that thanks.

just a quick note to answer @Ayuto : a user could potentially crash his server when accessing a native module via sp too early... im not sure whether console prints are more important than that.. but ill try to implement a custom load now with the serveractivate event for my code... thanks both of you
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:07 pm

I really don't understand what you are referring to by "native module", could you elaborate which modules exactly? The game binaries? They are the ones loading Source.Python so everything that is not related to the game-play (entities, stringtables, etc.) should be accessible when loading your plugins via the autoexec.cfg.
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:20 pm

interesting, you are saying that its exactly the other way around, but i never said that source python was loading "the game binaries".. i said source python "accesses" them too early.... ( which presupposes the binaries being loaded first ;) )

i could post a crashdump (.mdmp) if that helps? last time i tested, my server crashed when i was precaching too early with sp. ( limit reached i think) i also had other errors, but i can't recall them now, without recreating the situation and looking into it..
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Like I said in my post, stringtables are not allocated yet. Also, they are freed and re-allocated every map so you should NEVER pre-cache anything in global scope/or load function. You should instead use the engines.precache module that will ensure to refresh the indexes every map for you.
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:17 pm

i have no idea what your advice to me is now...

i said
"last time i tested, my server crashed when i was precaching too early with sp"

and you are saying
"Like I said" ... "You should instead use the engines.precache module that will ensure to refresh the indexes every map for you."
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:22 pm

In my previous post, I mentioned that stringtables cannot be accessed unless a map is loaded because they are related to the game-play and they are not initialized at this point. I assumed that you was pre-caching using the direct engine_server calls, which I'm unsure if they have the proper checks to prevent accessing the tables if they are not allocated which would result into a crash. However, the engines.precache module is offering classes that ensure a map is loaded before pre-caching any strings and also ensure that the indexes carried by your objects are always the one for the current allocated table. Could you post/try to reproduce the code that was causing the crashes? So we could figure it out better.
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 pm

using this:

Syntax: Select all

from engines.server import engine_server
engine_server.precache_decal

crashes on the first precache for me.

sp info output

Code: Select all

Date          : 2017-11-15 16:33:24.392091
OS            : Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Game          : csgo
SP version    : 582
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks, I was able to reproduce the crashes as well. Will add checks to ensure it doesn't crash but you should really use the Decal class (same usage for Model and Generic classes):

from engines.precache import Decal

my_decal = Decal('some/decal.vmt')

def some_function():
print(f'{my_decal.path} currently has the index {my_decal.index}')

These classes ensure that the indexes are always up-to-date so you don't have to worry about anything.
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:44 pm

thanks. theres a problem. with your workaround i dont get index from the Decal() class. it only suppresses any scriptload errors.
my goal really is to only start loading my script when the server is fully ready. i will just implement a server_ready listener loader.

btw, whats a workaround for engines.server.server ?

example code:

from engines.server import server
print(server.map_name)
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Yes, checking against the map name is a workaround as it will only returns an empty string when no map has been loaded at all. However, since "server" relies on a signature/symbol, I would rather recommend using:

from engines.server import global_vars

global_vars.map_name
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Speed0x wrote:thanks. theres a problem. with your workaround i dont get index from the Decal() class. it only suppresses any scriptload errors.

Which is not really a "problem" because you don't need indexes if there is no map loaded because you cannot network any effects unless there is players and no players can connect if there is no map.
Speed0x wrote:my goal really is to only start loading my script when the server is fully ready. i will just implement a server_ready listener loader.
This is really unnecessary, but do as you will. :smile:
You could also just load your plugin via server.cfg instead of autoexec.cfg if this is really an issue for you.
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Which is not really a "problem" because you don't need indexes if there is no map loaded because you cannot network any effects unless there is players and no players can connect if there is no map.

if you think outside the box of "does it crash? no? ok this works perfectly!!", you will see that getting indexes after precaching is needed only 1 time. thats why im trying to get the index. im not really trying to precache something, that suppresses an error of getting the index. because then i can never use the index
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Speed0x wrote:if you think outside the box of "does it crash? no? ok this works use it!!", you will see that getting indexes after precaching is needed only 1 time. thats why im trying to get the index. im not really trying to precache something, that suppresses an error of getting not index. because that doesnt help at all. its just a waste

Wrong. Like I mentioned above, precached strings are freed every map change. If you do not re-precache after a new map, your index is no longer valid and will points to another string in the tables. The engine tells you, with a crash, that you cannot pre-cache anything because the tables are not ready because there is no map loaded. Like I also mentioned, the engines.precache module update the indexes for you every map while also ensuring that a map is loaded in order to do the pre-caching.
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm

you are kinda wrong, because i know that i dont reload the map and your scenario never happens.. so it doesnt help me.. :(
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Speed0x wrote:you are kinda wrong, because i know that i dont reload the map and your scenario never happens.. so it doesnt help me.. :(

This will be my last post because this is going nowhere. Here is some data to prove my point.

from commands.server import ServerCommand
from engines.server import engine_server
from engines.server import global_vars
from memory import get_object_pointer
from stringtables import string_tables

model = 'models/parachute/orangebox/parachute_default.mdl'
model_index = engine_server.precache_model(model)
modelprecache_ptr = get_object_pointer(string_tables.modelprecache)

@ServerCommand('print')
def print_command(command):
print(f'Current map: {global_vars.map_name}')
print(f'\tmodel_index = {model_index} (Current: {string_tables.modelprecache[model]})')
print(f'\tmodelprecache_ptr = {modelprecache_ptr.address} (Current: {get_object_pointer(string_tables.modelprecache).address})')

[SP] Successfully loaded plugin 'testing'.
print
Current map: de_dust2
model_index = 151 (Current: 151)
modelprecache_ptr = 69562112 (Current: 69562112)
changelevel cs_office
print
Current map: cs_office
model_index = 151 (Current: 65535)
modelprecache_ptr = 69562112 (Current: 69561600)
Speed0x

Postby Speed0x » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:12 pm

you dont need to prove your point. ive already seen your point. i dont disagree with your point.

your point just doesnt help me.

just a moment ago i wanted to create a simple loader via the server_ready listener. but then you kinda told me its a useless approach, although it suits my needs at least. so idk.. mb it IS for the best, that it is your last post.. thanks anyway
Last edited by Speed0x on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Plugin Development Support”