We can all do better

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
botmaster

We can all do better

Postby botmaster » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Hey guys, I worked with source.python for about 2 weeks to translate my eventscripts based engine (a bot manager) and I'm at the point where everything is working fairly well and got in place nicely and I can also see how I could add more stuff with source.python that I couldn't even do with eventscripts. Source.python is open source and well maintained so really kudos on this.

BUT your documentation is … How can I say … Well, it would not make a big difference if there wasn't any.
BUT your code commenting is … useless
BUT any resource online to get information about source.python (other than this forums) is … nowhere to be found

So the only way I was able to translate my engine was by:
1. opening and reading plugins
2. reading and searching forums (the search is really bad)
3. Tries and errors

And it's fine for a guy like me but I really wonder for a beginner (in programming) or even slightly advanced, how would they not give up after one day of trying to use source.python?
I wasn't really surprised to see there's a little number of plugins available and most of them are made by the authors of source.python.

So here's my point (cos I have a point), the engine source.python is really doing a great job and if some serious effort were put into developing a real documentation with the purpose of HELPING people in using the engine then you might actually experience a boost in the number of people using it.

Sorry, my 2 cents, yes it's a criticism but with the intention of helping you guys.
Ayuto
Project Leader

Re: We can all do better

Postby Ayuto » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Thank you for your feedback! That are some valid points. The reason for this is the lack of time and sometimes maybe motivation (nobody likes writing documentation). That's not something you can easily change, unfortunately.
botmaster

Postby botmaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:26 pm

I might be able to help, I'll do some research and keep you posted.
Ayuto
Project Leader

Postby Ayuto » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:05 pm

That would be great, thanks! :smile:

Return to “General Discussion”