Downloadables

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
botmaster

Downloadables

Postby botmaster » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm translating a EvenScripts based game system to Source.Python. I have a sound system which fetches sounds and register them automatically when plugins load, this works fine in EventScripts and with the translated Source.Python version but with on big difference. With the source.python one all sounds are always downloaded at beginning of each maps (very annoying). Strangely another system which loads skins (ton of them) behave correctly and doesn't redownload them every time. So what's different with the sounds? Is there something extra that must be done? (the Downloadables is set globally and set only once when plugin is loaded)
satoon101
Project Leader

Re: Downloadables

Postby satoon101 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:35 pm

If I remember correctly, that can happen if you don't have the files setup correctly on your download server (when using sv_downloadurl).
botmaster

Postby botmaster » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Do you mean source.python is more picky and my files were not setup correctly for years but eventscripts let it pass? Cos this is the same fast download server I use for my current server so everything works fine and has been for years with all my files. All my tests are done locally can this make a difference for source.python? (it doesn't for eventscripts). I'll soon have a live test server so I'll see the difference.
botmaster

Postby botmaster » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Still struggling with that, could appreciate some pointers. Here's what I have:

- tested live on hosting server
- fast download server set
- few hundred skin files
- few sound files
- on plugin load > sound + skin are added to 2 different Downloables object
- skin files correctly load only once
- sound files load every map < this is the problem
Kami
Global Moderator

Postby Kami » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm not sure if that is what is causing your problem but I experienced similar behavior before when files were added to the Downloadables which did not exists on the server. The server told the client to download the files (hence the downloading every map) but since the server did not have the files there was nothing to be downloaded.

Maybe check if you uploaded all files to the fast download :)
botmaster

Postby botmaster » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:19 pm

thx for the reply, yes everything is set correctly, the fast download server has all the files and has been in use for years, I'm translating my engine from es to sp so all my files/setup are really the same. I have a local test server and a hosted one, both have all the files and I get same result with both, skins load once, sounds load every map.

Return to “General Discussion”