Regarding wiki

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
Omega_K2

Regarding wiki

Postby Omega_K2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Hello,

before too much work is put into a forum-based wiki I suggest that media wiki is used instead.
Media wiki is a well established wiki software and quite a bunch of people know how to work with it and it has bunch of advantages over a forum such as a history and users being able to edit pages freely (MW is highly community driven!) also though templates multi langauges support can be easily done (and as these templates are used on the offical media wiki documenation they can be easily copied -> open license)

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Also integration with vbulletin:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VBulletin/Users_Integration
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 pm

We've already spent the money sir.

Everything you've just stated can be done with the installed wiki software. I encourage you to play around with it before jumping to conclusions.
Our goal is to integrate everything into the forums. MediaWiki cannot be easily integrated in (I haven't seen a properly done one at least).

EDIT: I need to clarify that the wiki plugin installed is a full blown wiki installation. I do believe that it uses forums as 'article' storage, but like I said,
it offers all of the media wiki features in a seamless, easy to install format.

Also, the integration you linked to works on vBulletin 3.5.4. We're running 4.2.
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:16 pm

So how do I access my user wiki page to experiment? :P

Well, there is more that MW can do besides what I said. Integrating depends on how integrated it has to be - TBH, if it just shares the login and can be run from within an frame, it works fine :P
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Just go to the 'Documentation' forum and click on a subforum. Then click 'post new article'. From there, you can do all of your editing. There are no user pages per se with this software.
Our plan is to let people create their own wiki pages for their own addons.
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Here is the link to the docs for the wiki system:
https://www.vaultwiki.org/books/VaultWiki-Manual
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 pm

your-name-here wrote:Just go to the 'Documentation' forum and click on a subforum. Then click 'post new article'. From there, you can do all of your editing. There are no user pages per se with this software.
Our plan is to let people create their own wiki pages for their own addons.

Ah well, I found that before, I figured I should not post tests in normal documentation areas :P

Well, it seems as if it got some of the basic MW stuff covered. Are Categories & templates enabled?
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Then I suppose normal users don't have access to it, because it does not exist on the wiki pages;

All I have is (in the bar)
Special Pages
Books
Recent Changes

and

Installation
Pages: 0, Comments: 0
Tutorials
Libraries
Addons
Special
Pages: 29

as for the categories, reading the documenation it seems they have to be created (or enabled - or the tag at least?!) in the admin panel...? For example, I just had the idea for an example addon template where the user has to enter his name; then at some point the page is added to a category like Author:{{username}} so people can easily find any addons made by that user
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Omega_K2 wrote:Then I suppose normal users don't have access to it, because it does not exist on the wiki pages;

All I have is (in the bar)

and

as for the categories, reading the documenation it seems they have to be created (or enabled - or the tag at least?!) in the admin panel...? For example, I just had the idea for an example addon template where the user has to enter his name; then at some point the page is added to a category like Author:{{username}} so people can easily find any addons made by that user

We'll look into this shortly.
Monday
Administrator

Postby Monday » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Its a much different system than media wiki.. templates are not nearly as important. Pages can be generated without much effort at all.. In the future we will authors to maintain their own wiki pages, but for the time being we are going to rely on a select few to start writing up the documentation.
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 pm

What about Python Cookbook and Python Tips subwikis?
Monday
Administrator

Postby Monday » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:58 pm

That may be something we add in the future, but for the time being you are welcome to add anything like that under tutorials for now.. Should the need arise to organize it further, we will take care of it then.

Return to “General Discussion”