Interested in Source.Python, got some questions

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
Akitake

Interested in Source.Python, got some questions

Postby Akitake » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi !

I am a plugin developer that started back on 1.6 with AmxModX, moved on to source on Eventscripts (I didn't like, and still dislike Sourcemod's sourcepawn language), and am now looking to create some for CS:GO.

I look at Source.Python as an option even though I already started with sourcemod, as the plugins I will be making are for personal use.
I have a couple questions before comitting though:

• Does Source.Python have better run times than Sourcemod or is it similar ?
  • Does SP allow you to do more than Sourcemod? (I'm asking this because I feel like Sourcemod has a lot less methods than Eventscripts did, and I feel more constrained as to what I can do)
  • Will SP keep being updated for a good while, unlike what happened with Eventscripts where it just died off ?
VinciT

Re: Interested in Source.Python, got some questions

Postby VinciT » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:29 pm

I feel like the best thing SP has over SM is that you can use almost any existing Python library for your plugins.
And I just find Python much more readable than SourcePawn.
satoon101
Project Leader

Re: Interested in Source.Python, got some questions

Postby satoon101 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Run times in SP are similar to SM, but could be slightly slower in some cases.

SP allows you to do anything that ES did, including SPE functionality, and then some. As VinciT mentioned, you also have access to the thousands of Python packages available on PyPi, if you happen to have need of any of them.

Updates have slowed down recently, due to us Project Leaders being busy with life and all, but we're still around. Also, since SP is open source, everyone is free to post pull requests for fixes or enhancements.

Return to “General Discussion”