[Question] Securing your servers originality?

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
Manifest

[Question] Securing your servers originality?

Postby Manifest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Hello all Source Python pioneers!

I have a question in regards to the source python as a whole.

Previously when hosting and creating servers I have had an issue with players, developers and hosts from other servers joining my server just to see which plugins was running on the server, so that they could copy the setup. This has been an issue for me a couple of times with different types of servers, mostly in the CS:S era whilst running SourceMod. People would come onto the server type sm plugins and they would have all the information needed to make a replica server.

I have had multiple servers ruined by this, and had to shut down two servers due to this exact issue since the playerbase would be divided, eventually leaving the servers too unpopulated to make it worth hosting them.

My point being, is that I noticed Source.Python is using the same sort of system in terms of typing in a console command, and you will then be able to see all the source.python plugins currently loaded on the server.
My question is; are there any way to set some type of a "white list" only allowing SteamIDs within that list to be able to see the plugins loaded, and cause everyone else who types the message to no longer receive any information when doing so?
If there are such a possibility, can someone then point me in the direction of how do this.

In advance thank you for your time and replies. :-)
Pudge90

Re: [Question] Securing your servers originality?

Postby Pudge90 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:40 pm

I just tried it with my server and the only one able to do "sp plugin list' was the server itself. Or did I misunderstand your question ?
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Pudge90 is correct. Currently you can only do that via the server or rcon. Although, we should add in the client commands at some point. When we do, we will make sure each sub-command carries its own permission.
Manifest

Postby Manifest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Sweet!

Thank you for your quick replies, both of you.
I was not aware that it was already exclusively to rcon users, but this surely saves me a lot of time and trouble.
Also that sounds very promising Satoon, this would surely be one more reason for people to use source.python over sourcemod, atleast it is a plus in my book.

Return to “General Discussion”