Admin System

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
Logifl3x

Admin System

Postby Logifl3x » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 am

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if SP will have an inbuilt admin system like Sourcemod. If so that would be awesome
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 am

There is none "planned" at this stage, but if someone, or a group of people worked on one that we thought well enough to add in, it would definitely be up for discussion.

Satoon
Logifl3x

Postby Logifl3x » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 am

Ok, I would attempt this but there are people a lot better than me at Python scripting but I guess I could try it.

Is SP only available for CS:GO at the current moment?
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:35 am

I agree with Stephen, though I'm not sure I'd ship with it. On the fence on that because that means we'd have to support that in addition to the core. We'll have to see how it goes. :)
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 am

Yeah, again, it would be "up for discussion".

Yes, currently, Source.Python is only being created for CS:GO. Once we get much further in development, we can possibly look to supporting other games.

Satoon
Logifl3x

Postby Logifl3x » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 am

your-name-here wrote:I agree with Stephen, though I'm not sure I'd ship with it. On the fence on that because that means we'd have to support that in addition to the core. We'll have to see how it goes. :)

I agree with what you're saying but if we go with what satoon said and have a dedicated team/individual that supports it, it could be a good idea. It doesn't have to be included with the official download of the addon, but if it was a recommended plugin/extension for admin integration I reckon it would be a cool idea.

satoon101 wrote:Yeah, again, it would be "up for discussion".

Yes, currently, Source.Python is only being created for CS:GO. Once we get much further in development, we can possibly look to supporting other games.

Satoon

Is it going to support games like CSS, TF2, DODS or L4D/2?
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:53 am

Logifl3x wrote:I agree with what you're saying but if we go with what satoon said and have a dedicated team/individual that supports it, it could be a good idea. It doesn't have to be included with the official download of the addon, but if it was a recommended plugin/extension for admin integration I reckon it would be a cool idea.

Is it going to support games like CSS, TF2, DODS or L4D/2?

Absolutely. I want SP to support all source games. We're starting small because we can focus on getting major parts of the codebase up first.
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 pm

I don't think we need our own complete admin system right away. However, SP should ship with a flexible autorization API, something similar to the authservice in ES.
Woody
Global Moderator

Postby Woody » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I think that eventually it should include an admin system. I personally enjoy sourcemod because it does have a great admin system that allows you to easily integrate new commands from various plugins. Makes for a much cleaner look and feel in my opinion :)
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:03 am

Right but all of those admin commands are plugins that have been written by other people. I'm totally cool with writing an authorization API as it would basically be a write once, test and stay the same kinda deal. An admin system however.. I don't feel that's within the scope of Source Python. I want Source Python to be a platform, not a random collection of stuff. The more stuff I add into this plugin, the more responsibility falls upon my shoulders to maintain it. Keep in mind that I want to design Source Python to be as stable if not more stable than SPE (e.g. I rarely have to recompile it or ship new builds).
satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:05 am

An authorization API is definitely something we will probably want to add in either prior to release or soon after. An admin mod/system (like XA) is not something we wish (at this time) to include with the package. Personally, at this point, I am heavily leaning toward not including "any" addons with the package itself. Built-in APIs and modules (much like the ES libraries) along with the core are the only things that should be included.

Satoon
Absolute

Postby Absolute » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:24 am

I really don't think that there should be an admin plugin packed into the main files, people should have to get the addons they want.
Logifl3x

Postby Logifl3x » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 am

satoon101 wrote:An authorization API is definitely something we will probably want to add in either prior to release or soon after. An admin mod/system (like XA) is not something we wish (at this time) to include with the package. Personally, at this point, I am heavily leaning toward not including "any" addons with the package itself. Built-in APIs and modules (much like the ES libraries) along with the core are the only things that should be included.

I understand what you mean. What if someone/a team were make an admin system using the API and that would be the recommended plugin for having admins?

I just think it's a good idea to have an official admin system so if people were to create plugins for admins, they don't have to make an admin system themselves and they could use the "official/recommended" one to make it easier.

I guess it could be like XA but it doesn't have to be included in the official SP releases.
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 am

Logifl3x wrote:I understand what you mean. What if someone/a team were make an admin system using the API and that would be the recommended plugin for having admins?

I just think it's a good idea to have an official admin system so if people were to create plugins for admins, they don't have to make an admin system themselves and they could use the "official/recommended" one to make it easier.

I guess it could be like XA but it doesn't have to be included in the official SP releases.

I'd rather not touch the issue of "recommending" an an admin system. The community should decide that, not me. I just want to code a plugin and release it as a platform people can build cool stuff on.
Logifl3x

Postby Logifl3x » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:15 am

your-name-here wrote:I'd rather not touch the issue of "recommending" an an admin system. The community should decide that, not me. I just want to code a plugin and release it as a platform people can build cool stuff on.

Ok, I understand where you're coming from.
cagemonkey

Postby cagemonkey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:11 am

This is a classic 'what came first, the chicken or the egg' problem. With no admin functions, community uptake will be slow. I recommend creating at least a very basic admin system addon on top of an auth API, at the initial release stage. It doesn't necessarily need to be packaged with SP (I agree with satoon, that it shouldn't be), but it could/should be concurrently available as an example addon package, for instance.
your-name-here
Developer

Postby your-name-here » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:26 am

cagemonkey wrote:This is a classic 'what came first, the chicken or the egg' problem. With no admin functions, community uptake will be slow. I recommend creating at least a very basic admin system addon on top of an auth API, at the initial release stage. It doesn't necessarily need to be packaged with SP (I agree with satoon, that it shouldn't be), but it could/should be concurrently available as an example addon package, for instance.

I am fine with it being a separate thing. My whole issue was with packaging it with SP as I don't want it tied to our releases. Once the SP API stabilizes, I think we can write a very stable admin system. I was thinking that we could "platformize" that system as well much like SourceMod's admin system and let people write their own mini-plugins for it.
ashbash1987
Developer

Postby ashbash1987 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:48 am

I certainly agree that an admin system should not be tied so intrinsically to SP, but certainly would agree on having an admin system available as an addon upon a final release of SP, so that those looking for new admin solutions will immediately take up SP along with this admin package. Certainly not the biggest concern at the moment, but worth considering adding in an auth system as Satoon suggested, as that would be a great idea.

Maybe something like:
'Auth Provider' (e.g. text file, SQLite, MySQL, etc. to provide the authorisation)
'Auth System' (the actual addon that glues the consumers with the providers)
'Auth Consumer' (an entity or action that requires authorisation)

But this is all for the future; the major focus now is to work on making a solid framework for SP!
Monday
Administrator

Postby Monday » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 pm

I also agree an auth system would be highly useful....

However, I think having an admin plugin would not be a bad idea assuming we do not go overboard with it. (Developed in python)
Omega_K2

Postby Omega_K2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 pm

ashbash1987 wrote:I certainly agree that an admin system should not be tied so intrinsically to SP, but certainly would agree on having an admin system available as an addon upon a final release of SP, so that those looking for new admin solutions will immediately take up SP along with this admin package. !

I'll happily port my sourcemod auth provider once we have an API :P

Return to “General Discussion”