Modding Idea needs your recommendations

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
cr4nkz

Modding Idea needs your recommendations

Postby cr4nkz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:32 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post so i take the chance to introduce myself first. I'm Berhard and im 28 Years old from germany. The last time when i had something to do with modding or servers in general was back when steam was firstly introduced. So you can see, im not up to date anymore.

We have a idea about a Server-side Mod for Counter-Strike GO which tries to emitate the slow, accurate but deadly gameplay from the old Rainbow Six games (199 and Rogue Spear). As far as i have seen, there is a huge load of available Mods for Sourcemod. We rent a 1000FPS EPS Server from the german provider called Nitrado. Performance is pretty good, so no problems here. But what i have a problem with, is how to choose the right plugins for our needs out of thousands availiable. I think its the best for you and me, if i just post a list of points we want to change in the game and you tell me if this is possible.

1: We want to make the game much slower (movement Speed, reduced jumping height, maybe a stamina-system reduced by sprinting and jumping)
2: We want to make the movement of the player more responsive (stop immediately after releasing the WASD-Keys)
3: We want to change the recoil and the damage of weapons, including their prices and their ammo.
4: We want to change the buymenu to a class-based inventory, where you can combine and select your Pistol, Rifle, Grenades, etc.)
5: We want to have a damage-display, not directly while youre alive, but when youre dead. (Like CSGO)
6: We want to have round start & round end sounds.
7: Generally the Player should be dead after one hit in the head or chest, or a maximum of 2 for feet and arms.

Thats all for now. I really know, this is a whole lot of requirements, but we think it would be interesting to have a more tactical aspect in CSGO and that the slowness really improves the gameplay just like in the old Rainbow games. If you don't know what im talking about at all, then just go to youtube and look for a "Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear" gameplay video. So, what Plugins do you experienced guys recommend to get the job done? And most important: Should we go with Metamod+Sourcemod or Eventscripts or the, as far as ive seen the new, source-python?

I really, really appreciate your time and help and im looking forward for answers within the Plugin-Jungle :) Thank you guys very much!
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Hello.

Forget about EventScripts, seriously, it's dead.

About your list. Pretty much everything is possible and rather easy with the exception for recoil (I'm not sure how to alter that). Responsive movement may also require some tricks with player's buttons though.

I guess I'll post some of that soon.
Image /id/its_iPlayer
My plugins: Map Cycle • Killstreaker • DeadChat • Infinite Jumping • TripMines • AdPurge • Bot Damage • PLRBots • Entity AntiSpam

Hail, Companion. [...] Hands to yourself, sneak thief. Image
cr4nkz

Postby cr4nkz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you very much iPlayer, im looking forward to your list. I got a first question: My Server Provider got a setting for even 256 Tick on our CSGO Server. Does this even make sense or is 128 enough?
necavi
Developer

Postby necavi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:10 pm

128 is definitely enough, anything above that is well past human perception and is just wasting CPU cycles.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:35 pm

My CS:S server runs at 66 ticks. It's a jail server though, combat aspect is not that important here.

Anyways, here's stamina system with sprint and jumps. Base player speed (w/o sprinting) and jump height are subjects to change. Oh, and I only tested it on CS:S - I do all my development for CS:S - but should run fine for CS:GO too.

Stamina indicator is located at the bottom left corner. You hold [Shift] to sprint.

https://github.com/KirillMysnik/CSGO-RS
Image /id/its_iPlayer
My plugins: Map Cycle • Killstreaker • DeadChat • Infinite Jumping • TripMines • AdPurge • Bot Damage • PLRBots • Entity AntiSpam

satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:43 pm

As far as I remember, HudMsg does not work on CS:GO. HintText allows for html color codes (as well as other html codes) on CS:GO, but no other games that I know of.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 pm

I never liked that game.

HintText is the one on the right, isn't it? I thought it only supported white color.
There is also something in the top left corner, it supports color, but I couldn't find it in SP's messages.base module.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:54 pm

HintText is bottom center. KeyHintText is bottom right, but it is bottom center in CS:GO (at least last I checked). And again, it only supports colors on CS:GO. There is a thread on the forums somewhere, I will see if I can find it.

The upper left is part of the DialogMsg system, which does not work on CS:GO. For other games, you can find those classes in messages.dialog, but we forwarded them to messages.

*Edit: found it:
http://forums.sourcepython.com/showthread.php?683
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:09 pm

Thank you for your replies, Satoon. It was interesting to read about saytext colors too as I will be porting SP Map Cycle to CS:GO.
I guess I'll go with 11 screen overlays. That'd allow me to make animated indicator for each stamina level. For example, blinking red for levels <3.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:54 am

You're welcome. The color codes in that post only apply to CS:GO. Orangebox games allow for \x07 and \x08 which use hex values to represent a color. \x07 assumes full alpha while \x08 requires an alpha value be given. We also implemented this into our Color object's __str__ method to automatically handle this specifically for SayText(2):
https://github.com/Source-Python-Dev-Team/Source.Python/blob/master/src/core/modules/colors/colors_wrap.cpp#L132
https://github.com/Source-Python-Dev-Team/Source.Python/blob/master/src/core/modules/colors/colors.h#L47

Syntax: Select all

from colors import RED
from messages import SayText2

# Uses \x07 internally
message = SayText2('The color is {0}red\x01.'.format(RED))

# Uses \x08 internally, since the Color objects alpha is not 255
message = SayText2('The color is {0}light red\x01.'.format(RED.with_alpha(128))
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:31 am

satoon101 wrote:Orangebox games allow for \x07 and \x08 which use hex values to represent a color. \x07 assumes full alpha while \x08 requires an alpha value be given. We also implemented this into our Color object's __str__ method to automatically handle this specifically for SayText(2)

Yes, yes, I know. I used Color objects in my strings. But I also thought that the whole string must start with \x01 to use RGB/RGBA values.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

Ayuto
Project Leader

Postby Ayuto » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:55 am

iPlayer wrote:But I also thought that the whole string must start with \x01 to use RGB/RGBA values.
Yes, that's right. Before I have updated the messages package, we automatically added that if it was missing. Satoon already noticed that this is missing in the rewrite and we will add that back again.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:33 am

cr4nkz wrote:5: We want to have a damage-display, not directly while youre alive, but when youre dead. (Like CSGO)

cr4nkz, I see you considered CS:S as a base game for your mod. Post on AlliedModders supports this fact. I guess I'll keep developing for CS:S and then, if you want, I will try to port it to CS:GO, but some features might be lost.

Also please provide the round start/end sounds.

I've updated the repository. I guess #1, #6 and #7 are done.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

cr4nkz

Postby cr4nkz » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:03 am

Holy Cow! You guys are awesome! Iplayer, i added you in Steam also, maybe you could accept, because i think because of your effort you earned a little donation! :)

Due to the changes in the gameplay i set my sv_maxspeed to 150 and i was trying to get a shortsprint-addon. I used that one yesterday: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=217000 It works fine, but the problem is, after the sprint is ending, the speed of the sprint itself keeps going, so no fallim back to my 150 value.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:51 pm

For anyone interested, here's how the stamina indicator looks in CS:GO

As said before, I went with 11 screen overlays.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:24 pm

Don't forget to add the overlays to the repository.

Also, since downloadlist.txt isn't really configurable, I would suggest a better home for it would be ../addons/source-python/data/plugins/csgors/. Though, you could also just remove the downloadlist.txt entirely and just use the following:

Syntax: Select all

downloads.add_directory('materials/overlays/csgors')
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:30 pm

I didn't want to upload all these .vtf-s and .vmt-s to the repository, I just given cr4nkz a link to a file hosting where I uploaded them to. See, each .vtf is 5 MB in size. I'm not sure of GitHub's policy. Won't they think I'm just uploading my personal trash to them instead of dropbox?

Thanks about downloadlist.txt tip. I think I'll go with adding the whole directory.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

satoon101
Project Leader

Postby satoon101 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:40 pm

https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota/

Though, if you choose to host them elsewhere, at least provide a link to it. I haven't found a link, but maybe I missed it.
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:15 pm

Yep, I'm terribly sorry, I was very busy doing all things at once, I just pushed an update and gave it all to cr4nkz. Will put links in rep's readme.

EDIT: Ok, links are in the rep now. I guess I might just as well push the materials to the rep though, since they consider their limit at 1GB. I just felt that GitHub is mostly for source code.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

Return to “General Discussion”