DL Link Source.Python

All other Source.Python topics and issues.
Killer0561

DL Link Source.Python

Postby Killer0561 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:03 am

Hello everybody,

I'm currently working on a script, which should automatically update Source.Python. The last year the Build Bot has changed, the download links do not work anymore.

As an example:
With Sourcemod this was solved over a php script. This url will automatically download the last stable build of Sourcemod 1.9 for Linux.
=> wget -O sourcemod-stable-latest.tar.gz "http://sourcemod.net/latest.php?os=linux&version=1.9"

Is there such a possibility for Source.Python? I would need it for css, gmod and tf2. Thanks in advance.

greeting, Killer0561 (Sascha)
Last edited by Killer0561 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Re: DL Link Source.Python

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 am

What's wrong with the builtin updater?
Killer0561

Postby Killer0561 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:41 am

He was unknown to me. So is it advisable to run via "sp update" to update Source.Python? Have now entered the command in the autoexec.cfg. So after every server restart to a new version is checked.

Last edited by Killer0561 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
L'In20Cible
Project Leader

Postby L'In20Cible » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 am

Killer0561 wrote:He was unknown to me. So is it advisable to run via "sp update" to update Source.Python? Have now entered the command in the autoexec.cfg. So after every server restart to a new version is checked.

Yes, if you add that command to your autoexec.cfg file your Source.Python installation will always be kept up-to-date (well, partially -- basically when that command will run, it will downloads the new build and notify you that your server needs to be restarted for the update process to be completed). As to whether or not it is recommended, I would personally tend to say that no; I would not recommend it. As long as you have the following in your core_settings.ini file:

Syntax: Select all

# Enable/disable automatic data updates for Source.Python.
auto_data_update = 1
All the dynamic data such as signatures, offsets, etc. will be kept up-to-date which is the main thing that needs to be kept updated. When you run the sp update command, it will update the binaries along with all the packages of Source.Python and by doing so your plugins might break. For example, if you have a plugin that use the Foo.bar() method and that for some reason we decide to remove or rename it, your plugin will no longer works and you will have to update it in order for it to works again. In my opinion, there is no need to update your entire Source.Python installation unless to apply critical bug fixes or you want to use plugins that are not compatible with earlier versions in case they use new features or something.
Killer0561

Postby Killer0561 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. Then I'll do it the way you suggested. Thanks for the fast reply. Then this thread can be closed.

Return to “General Discussion”