Add more fonts to fonts selection list

General discussion for off-topic subjects.
iPlayer
Developer

Add more fonts to fonts selection list

Postby iPlayer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:44 am

I mean, Arial, Verdana and Tahoma are cool and stuff, but to highlight in-line pieces of code or variables, Courier New or monospace seems much more appropriate.

Please! :)
Image /id/its_iPlayer
My plugins: Map Cycle • Killstreaker • DeadChat • Infinite Jumping • TripMines • AdPurge • Bot Damage • PLRBots • Entity AntiSpam

Hail, Companion. [...] Hands to yourself, sneak thief. Image
La Muerte
Administrator

Re: Add more fonts to fonts selection list

Postby La Muerte » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:00 am

Could you provide us with a list of desired fonts so we can add them all at once?
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:08 pm

So, ehm, a little discussion took place between me and Muerte in Steam, and we couldn't come to a conclusion.

My point: "sans-serif", "serif" and "monospace" aliases must be included in the list:
Because simply selecting, for example, Courier New to highlight a variable will not make it highlighted on some linux systems (Ubuntu, for example, doesn't include Courier New).
Selecting "monospace", on the other hand, will make it so the end-user browser will choose between "Courier New" and "Lucida Console" by itself. So the variable will stay highlighted even if you browse from toaster.

Muerte's point: he better explain it himself. But things I understood from him:
1. Monospace isn't a font, it's a font family, so including it in the same list will confuse the users
it is better practise to really define the font rather then let the browser decide for you
so you have control over what happens

and people can customize however much they want anyway by typing it manually

Update: In the end of discussion Muerte agreed to make group titles (Serif, for example) clickable so that they will insert the proper font family.

What do you guys think?
Image /id/its_iPlayer
My plugins: Map Cycle • Killstreaker • DeadChat • Infinite Jumping • TripMines • AdPurge • Bot Damage • PLRBots • Entity AntiSpam

Ayuto
Project Leader

Postby Ayuto » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Looks good, but which font does it take when clicking on the font family?
iPlayer
Developer

Postby iPlayer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:17 pm

Code: Select all

[font=monospace][/font]
And it will expand to different monospace fonts on different systems. On Windows, Courier New. On Linux, probably FreeMono or something.
Image /id/its_iPlayer

Mahi

Postby Mahi » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm personally more with iPlayer here. While it's important for some to be able to precisely customize the looks of the text, I believe those are the minority and most of us are fine with "this part should look like code" instead of choosing the exact font. I'm still not against having the exact fonts in the list too for those who want it, but I'd much rather prefer just a few simple options.
decompile

Postby decompile » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Mahi wrote:I'm personally more with iPlayer here. While it's important for some to be able to precisely customize the looks of the text, I believe those are the minority and most of us are fine with "this part should look like code" instead of choosing the exact font. I'm still not against having the exact fonts in the list too for those who want it, but I'd much rather prefer just a few simple options.

Pretty much everything said here.
La Muerte
Administrator

Postby La Muerte » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Ayuto wrote:Looks good, but which font does it take when clicking on the font family?

I haven't the slightest idea either.

Anyway since its really just a matter of personal opinion as to which one is better or which is worse, we decided to take the best of both worlds by making Serif, Sans-Serif and Monospace also selectable directly, which required a little work-around but it does the job.

Return to “Whatever”